354th District Court

Jurors in the capital murder trial of Chacey Poynter saw the final texts between Poynter and her husband, Robert Louis Poynter III, on the night he was shot and killed.

The jury in the 354th District Court also heard about texts sent between Chacey Poynter and Michael Garza in the days before the duo allegedly committed the homicide.

Chacey Poynter pleaded not guilty to a charge of capital murder in connection with the death of Robert Poynter, a University Park Fire Department captain.

Monday was the third day of testimony in the trial. The prosecution’s testimony is scheduled to resume this morning.

Chacey Poynter faces a sentence of life in prison without parole if convicted of capital murder.

According to the capital murder indictment Chacey Poynter and Michael Garza were alleged to have shot and killed Robert Poynter with a shotgun on the night of Sept. 9, 2016 “for remuneration, namely: money and financial assets and benefits owned or controlled by the victim.”

Greenville Police Department Detective Phillip Spencer was called to the witness stand on Monday, to transcribe texts Chacey and Robert Poynter had exchanged prior to the incident. Spencer downloaded the files from the pair’s cell phones.

The couple had marital issues and Chacey told Robert – as the two ended what was supposed to a reconciliation vacation – that she needed space and no longer wanted to have sex.

On the afternoon of Sept. 8, 2016, Robert Poynter said they could try again.

We can work on it. even if it takes a very long time,” Robert said, adding that he would still love and stand by Chacey if she was unable to have sex due to illness.

On the evening of Sept. 9, 2016, Chacey said the two could work things out, but that she wanted to talk.

I love you!” Chacey sent at 8:14 p.m. “I really do!”

At 9:11 p.m. she texted Robert saying she was almost back to the couple’s Royse City residence. About 30 minutes later she asked Robert to meet her at a fast food restaurant in Royse City.

According to GPS I’m three miles away,” Chacey texted at 10:08 p.m. “I’m going across a dirt road.”

She then texted Robert to says she was leaving a friend’s house in Union Valley.

At 10:23 p.m. Robert texted Chacey, “Long three miles.”

In her statement to the Royse City Police Department, Chacey Poynter said she was at her friend Michael Garza’s during the afternoon and evening of Sept. 9, 2016, and the two of them had sex.

Spencer also read a series of increasingly romantic and intimate text messages between Chacey Poynter and Garza from late July to the night of the shooting death, where Garza repeatedly claimed he would do anything for the defendant.

Royse City Police Department officers were dispatched at around 10:45 p.m. September 9, 2016, to an area on FM 35 near Hunt County Road 2595 and spoke with Chacey Poynter, who was reported to have said her husband had been shot and was in a vehicle located along the county road.

Officers found Robert Poynter in Chacey’s Jeep with a shotgun wound to the head.

The next day officers interviewed Chacey Poynter, later finding a link to a photo from Garza’s Facebook page on her cell phone which resulted in the issuance of a probable cause affidavit for Garza’s arrest two days later.

Garza, of Quinlan, was found guilty by a jury following a two-week trial in July 2018 on a charge of murder and was sentenced to 99 years in prison. An appeal of his conviction is currently pending before the Fifth Court of Appeals in Dallas.

Recommended for you