An Oklahoma man has pleaded not guilty to an indictment alleging he produced and/or promoted pornography involving a Royse City child.
Philip Terrell Mendoza was arraigned on the indictment, issued by the Hunt County grand jury in July, during a hearing Thursday in the 354th District Court.
Judge Keli Aiken accepted the plea and scheduled an interim hearing in the case for Sept. 26.
Mendoza, 28, was being held in the Hunt County Detention Center Thursday in lieu of $300,000 bond on a charge of sexual performance by a child of less than 14 years of age.
The indictment alleges Mendoza was involved in “composing, directing and/or promoting” the pornographic material on or about May 2.
Mendoza was arrested June 17 at a residence in Madill, Okla.
Royse City Police Department spokesman Darnell Franklin said a parent filed a complaint with the department May 5, alleging Mendoza and a child had interacted online.
The child admitted she and Mendoza had been in contact and the department traced the link back to Mendoza.
The department investigated the incident alongside local agencies and the Marshall County, Oklahoma District Attorney’s Office, resulting in the arrest at Mendoza’s residence.
Franklin said investigators found copies of photos and videos of the communications between Mendoza and the victim and that during an interview with investigators Mendoza confessed.
The charge is a first degree felony, punishable upon conviction by a maximum sentence of from five to 99 years to life in prison.